2014 SBO! East Coast Meet (All Air-cooled Gathering)

28 posts in this topic

Posted

SBO! East Coast Meet

Sept 20 & 21, 2014 in Flanders, NJ

The event will take place during the All Air-cooled Gathering in Flanders, NJ. The show is held at the Swim and Sports Club of Flanders, a German social club tucked in the woods of northern NJ. There have been numerous photos posted recently on the CJVWS website, of he past AACGs. You can get an idea of the area and the show from them. The Swim Club will be open in the afternoon on Saturday for recreation, and camping that evening. There will be entertainment in the club house, and a campfire. If you plan to travel from a distance and don't like to camp, there is also a local hotel with a special rate. You can access all this info and details through the website here, http://www.allaircooledgathering.com. So come on out and get to meet your fellow SBO! members. There are some really nice cars in this part of the country. Let's get them together for a group photo! See you there.

Posted

Anyone going? Besides me.

Posted

There's a good chance I'll be there.

Posted

Anyone going? Besides me.

I have to report in Newport,RI on the evening of the twentieth and might be able to swing by for a few hours that morning.

Posted

When is your EAOS, or are you a lifer?

Posted

I'd like to go, but its quite a commute from Denver....

Posted

The show is just over a month away now. Who's going? If you've never been to Flanders, it's really a great show.

Posted

I'm going for sure, just gotta buy my plane tickets. :dollarsign:

Posted

When is your EAOS, or are you a lifer?

My current EAOS is 2016, but everything will change once I complete OCS. There is a real good chance I will be a "lifer", but I like to take that one reenlistment at a time.

Posted

Well, good luck, let me know when I have to salute you. :smart: V/R

Posted

Well, good luck, let me know when I have to salute you. :smart: V/R

If I do not mess up too much I will commission Dec 12. It is going to be close and I will not be there very long, but I am planning to swing by on my way through that afternoon.

Posted

We will have a booth set up, come by and say hi.

Posted

We will have a booth set up, come by and say hi.

I will do that- looking forward to meeting you! :thumbsup:

Posted

Guys, I feel like I need to be honest. I'm sorry if I make anyone mad, but I feel I owe an explanation. I do feel bad about not going, I really do, but I have a very specific reason for not going this year. I didn't have a good experience last time. It's no ones fault here, I want to be clear about that up front. I enjoyed meeting the SBO members, but that is ALL I liked about the weekend. I never felt less welcome in my life, and I drag race a VW beetle. A super beetle, so I am a fish out of water at any event, VW or not. Every time I go to the drags I feel very welcome, just about everyone is nice to me and I just enjoy it. Not to mention there is some action throughout the day. But I don't want to be a "show car snob", that's not at all what I mean.

I showed up the night before to camp and have some fun visiting. I was told that I can't park my truck and trailer in the camping area, if I want to be close to my drag car while sleeping I will need to park the truck in the woods and drive the drag car only back to the campsite. So I did, quietly and SLOWLY. The second I pulled into my site many people came over to make sure that I don't start "that thing" again. I said ok I won't, and I didn't. Then we were kept up all night by morons BLASTING movies onto a projector screen until around 2 am as I recall. Plus more than once a drunk tried to get into our tent. So I started the next day exhausted to begin with.

Show day. Drove over to the show area and parked under the SBO banner next to a nice orange super to try to get some exposure for the website. We were supposed to be showing both sides of the spectrum, stock and modified. All day long people made horrible comments about me and my car. This may be hard to believe but I would not make that up. Everything from "drag racers are idiots" to "did you paint this car with a rattle can?"..............I could go on but that is really all I need to say to give the gist. I attached a picture below to show the condition of the car on that day, I don't consider that a show car, but it's not a pile of crap either. This went on all day. I was very uncomfortable but I promised I would help man the tent all day, and I did. I had one nice, intelligent conversation with one guy all day. Other than that, it was "Why are you here?" all day.

As I said, I enjoyed the SBO side of it, I have nothing against any of you guys. Sorry for rambling and for adding negativity, but I feel I should explain why I live three hours away and won't be attending. I never felt so unwelcome in my life.

post-307-1409793828_thumb.jpg

Posted

All the more reason to go! I've been a person that preferred the Super Beetle over all other air-cooled since the 1980's and I've heard it all. That's one of the main reasons I put this club/website together. There might only be a handful of us at each show but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy each other's company. This will be my first time going to a show in the east and I'd really like to meet you and the fam if possible. Don't let all that get you down, people just like to hark on others to make themselves feel better. Hopefully we'll see you there! We'll have a booth set up. There is word that Hot VW's will be there.

Posted

I appreciate you wanting us to go but even if I wanted to I am scheduled to work that weekend.

Posted

Wow, I didn't realize you had such a bad time there. That really does upset me to hear that. I have only camped out there the last couple of years, and things have calmed down a bit since then it would seem. As far as people being critical of your car, I'd just ask to see what their super that can pull the front wheels off the ground looks like... those are the people that will never build a car from the ground up themselves, or understand what that takes.

Posted

I appreciate you wanting us to go but even if I wanted to I am scheduled to work that weekend.

I would be very interested to meet you and see your SB. I have enjoyed reading your post and watching the videos you have posted. Although I am not sure if I can carry on an intelligent conversation with you for very long since I am just a tinkerer in the mechanical world, know very little about racing and do not care for sports...but I would love to hear about what you have done with your SB-I am sure there is a lot I could learn.

If your schedule changes, I hope to see you on the 20th.

Posted

Just so everyone knows, I won't be at the camp out on the 20th but I will be there the morning of the show on the 21st.

Posted

Just so everyone knows, I won't be at the camp out on the 20th but I will be there the morning of the show on the 21st.

Sorry I am going to miss you. I need to be in RI by the 21 and will only be there for a short while on the 20th...maybe next time

Posted

Had a great time today. Wish I could have stayed till Sunday to see everything. But I got the t-shirt and a sticker (special thanks to Bill, whose '73 SB is increadible)- so I am officially...a member...I think.

Bill, please tell Lewis and Nancy how much I appreciate them digging through the shirts for me. And hopefully Ron (with the orange '74) SB and Craig (with the '73 vert) will be joining SBO soon.

I report to OCS tomorrow so I won't be in contact with the real world for a few months. Looking forward to seeing all the pics from Sunday. I will also post what I took on my phone...when I get a chance :sbo:

Posted

Sounds like it was a good show! And yes, Bill's Sports is an amazing ride for sure. :sbo:

Posted

Well, how'd it go guys?

Posted

Supe has had limited access to internet and email, but he told me that he has almost 200 pictures to upload when he gets back on.

Posted

I kinda forgot to take pictures. I seem to do that a lot these days, get busy doing stuff, and then the show is over. I think I am still recovering from the campout too.

Posted

Thanks for doing all the P.R. and booth, I've had to be the camera man but maybe in time we'll find someone who enjoys taking pictures. I really wish I could stay in the booth and meet more people. It's just so much to do in one half of a day.

I will say this, this being my first time to make it to the east coast the weather was so much better, I did not get sun drained like I do at all the other shows.

This was also the first show ever to have a section put aside for the Super Beetles, that was really nice to see and made it easier for the Super Beetle owners to visit more with each other.

I'll add pictures, over 200, to the gallery here and on FB soon. Thanks to everyone who participated, even if it was via your internet at home we're keeping the 1302/1303 spirit alive.

Posted (edited)

Photo0124.thumb.jpg.994692cfd3c0dc87bd8ePhoto0126.thumb.jpg.d90c916121e07073e07cPhoto0119.thumb.jpg.0237edd8fd064c364b57I did get a few pictures on Friday when everyone was setting up. (only a year late posting this ?)

Edited by Saint Willie
trying to get the pictures to load correctly
1 person likes this

Posted

bit far for me

1 person likes this